Dodson & Flinker has an opening for a landscape designer/planner with 0-5 years of experience. We are looking for a talented individual who can make an immediate contribution to the firm. As a small firm, we need someone who is creative, thoughtful, and well-organized, with strong visual, verbal, and written communication skills, and an ability to manage time and work both independently and within a team.
We have a flexible office environment in beautiful, and relatively affordable, Western Massachusetts. We are open to hybrid work arrangements and half-time to full-time employees. We offer a competitive salary, health benefits, 401K plan, paid holidays and vacation. Our culture is focused on making the world a better place through high quality work without egos or bureaucracy.
For over thirty years, Dodson & Flinker has pioneered sustainable site planning and urban design strategies that create vibrant, walkable communities that blend new development with the preservation and enhancement of open space, farmland and environmentally sensitive areas. Current projects include design of schools, trails, and affordable housing, comprehensive plans, area plans, and climate resilience planning.
• An ability to work independently, take direction, manage time, and solve problems
• At least one year of experience working in a professional office setting
• Graduate or undergraduate degree in landscape architecture, ecological design, or a related field, with experience in planning, site design, and urban design
• Confident design thinker, from site analysis and conceptual design to construction details
• Strong communication skills including writing, speaking, and listening, with the ability to facilitate discussions at public meetings, interact with clients, and work collaboratively on design and planning projects.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, and SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite, and ArcGIS. Experience with Rhino 3D, Revit, and rendering software would be beneficial but not required.
• Other desirable skills could include knowledge of plants, hand-drawing ability, experience in landscape construction, experience using Grasshopper and parametric design, web development, data analysis
Don’t meet every qualification? If you are excited about our firm and can make a meaningful contribution—while doing the work to build your skills and knowledge—we encourage you to apply.
Please email a cover letter (addressed to Peter Flinker), resume, and work samples to: email@example.com with “Employment” in the subject line. No telephone calls, please.